winter white–kitchen update

In our last apartment I never managed identify and pursue a color scheme for the kitchen.  I thought I was going to do red, and I had a few red things.  Even so–then and now–I found it extremely challenging to decorate a tiny room whose purpose dictates several things that interfere with decorating.  For instance, cupboards fill the eye-level wall space; fridge and dishwasher doors open onto the one empty wall, limiting what can be hung there and how; and the standard apartment-issue bisque appliances (solast decade!) clash with anything white.  I’m not going to pretend that my own ignorance wasn’t part of the equation:

If you’ll humor me, let’s revisit the bisque appliance thing for a second.  While I probably wouldn’t choose that (non)color, I find it borderline hilarious how everyone is clamoring for stainless steel.  I’ve seen it incorporated well, but often I find it cold and industrial-looking.  And I can’t imagine that we’re all going to want our kitchens to look like the workplaces of professional chefs forever.  Just watch; there’s going to be a shift back to the personal look–yellow stove, anyone?  (You can see how you like it before you install your lavender toilet.  It all comes in cycles, people.)     *P.S. Did you notice that in the kitchen above, the fridge is bisque while the stove is white?  Awesome, huh?  But they both worked, so whatever.

Anyway, trend rant aside, I’m trying to find ways to make the kitchen peppy and personal within the existing confines.  Today I decided this dark green, purely utilitarian container had to go.  I was tired of looking at it.

The timing was perfect: I had just finished killing the geranium that valiantly fought to survive indoors for the last few months with insufficient sunlight.  (I’m sorry, little guy.  It was a good season while it lasted.)

The flower’s demise meant that the white pot (above right) was up for grabs.

First I scrubbed it clean, toothbrush treatment and everything.  It was fairly spiffy, but a bit of dirt remained lodged in the drainage hole.  I tried removing the “saucer” but it was part of the pot–not removable.

If I couldn’t completely remove the dirt, I knew I had to do something to prevent it from getting on kitchen utensils.  Aha!  Scrapbook paper.

Using a Sharpie, I traced the lid of one of my spice containers, which just happened to be the perfect size.  I cut out that circle, pushed it down into the bottom of the flowerpot, and had myself a Home Health Department-approved sanitary container.

I promptly filled it with my wooden spoons, spatulas, and their cousins.  They were much happier here than they had been in their old container.  The flared top of this pot creates wiggle room that was missing before, so now I can pull free a pair of tongs without sending a pancake turner clattering onto the counter.  It’s the simple things….

Advertisements
Previous Post
Leave a comment

Add your two cents:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: